27 March 2006

SALUTING

Here’s a letter I received from an SF buddy on the subject of whether vets should salute or place ther hands over their hearts. My bud got the letter from the administrator of the Special Forces Association. Sounds like a good idea to me.

“ “Military Officers” magazine asked veterans what they preferred, hand over the heart or saluting. When last I looked, some 583 veteran respondents had voted 81 percent in favor of the salute. In addition, my email address was in the questionnaire and I've had about 150 responses, with all but a dozen or so in favor of the salute. Obviously an overwhelming majority of the veterans want to salute.

There are no regulations telling us veterans what we can and can't do in this matter. If we decide we want to salute, who will dare to tell us no?

It is a matter of personal choice. We've earned the right to render a salute. Now the challenge is to get the word out. I believe the unit and branch associations are the best way. The commanders of the American Legion and VFW never answered my emails, presuming they even got them. If we can get this started it will take on a life of its own. Those who object can continue the hand over the heart thing. Gradually the custom will change, as well it should.”

Pass it on.

No comments: